16V Swap Nigtmare and other BS

So about 2 weeks ago we got the never ending Cabby with 16V Scirocco swap
running good enough to start fine tuning the fuel system. We go to start it
the next morning and hear this really loud bang coming from cylinder #4. So
immediately shut off and curse loudly. After removing head earlier this week
it was obvious that the intake valves were doing a tap dance on the piston.
Also a lot of the intake valves had this black tarish goo on the inside of
the head that is very odd and kept them from returning correctly (will post
pictures tonight for your enjoyment). Anyone have a 16V valve removal tool I
can borrow awhile? OK so the motor was a long shot since we only paid $150
for it and a 4speed trannyt. I guess you get what you pay for or some
bullshit like that. So to get the damn car out of my shop I graciously
forked over the complete 16V motor that I have been sitting on for 3 years
that I was going to use for my 80S swap. Sunday we began at 8AM and by 3:30
PM we had water and a battery in it and was turning the key. So now we have
a new motor in it but are back to square one since the car has no spark. The
same thing happened with the first motor but I do not know if we ever
figured out exactly what caused this problem. I am liking the 16V no
clearance motor and ball busting CIS-E less and less every time I have to
deal with it. Is it really worth all the hassle for the extra 25 HP? If I do
put in a 16V in my MK1 I am defiantly going to use the Golf-Jetta air box
set up to make some room on the drivers side of the motor. Too much stuff
crammed into one small area. Just have to extend some wires and re-plumb the
fuel lines(maybe more work than time saved) :)
 Before this I have been busy working on a Caddy that a friend bought for
$700. First weekend we removed the 1.7, put in the JH 1.8 that came with it
that had been sitting in the bed of the truck that unfortunately turned out
to be bad (also post pictures of this tonight since it is close to Halloween
and everyone could use another good scare), removed it the next weekend and
replaced with a 2H 1.8 and got it running. Like Julie it had some some
rodent problems. Found one rotted carcass on the passengers floor and
another one behind the heater core. Pulled out the carpet and gave it the
twice over with the carpet shampooer. I think the dash in it has more cracks
per square inch than any I have ever seen.
 I now have a line on 2 free Rabbits that are about an hour away. Too
tempting to resist any A1 VW so it will be even longer before I get to work
on my Scirocco projects but hope to get some more money from turning over
the bunnies.
 Later all.

--
Gordy