starter mounting gasket/seal?

On 8:19:13 pm 10/21/05 Blake Irvin <blake@clockserver.homeip.net> wrote:
> is a seal or gasket needed when mounting the starter to the engine
> case (just next to the part covering the flywheel)?  in my case this
> is a jetta transmission of the 85-89-ish vintage.
>
> blake/

Nope. And tranny type doesn't make a lot of difference, they're all pretty
similar unless you're into new enough stuff for a cable shift. Even then
the starter grounds there, and attaches in a fairly similar fashion -
there's just a lot more swearing to remove it, in my case, it was on my
99TDIFatBug...On our Roccs, some have Allen head bolts, and others use a
triple square. Otherwise, same same. No gasket that I'm aware of.

cathy