The New Polo GTI

and they would be correct, trucks and SUVs outsell
everything else here in the US.  that is why small
cars like the polo were never sold here.  ford tried
with the polo-sized fiesta in the late 70s, but
americans prefer accord/passat sized sedans, not
polo-sized hatchbacks.

<<http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/volkswagen_news/article_1562.shtml>