Seat Swapping

In an emergency, as in having left your left seat behind in a bar somewhere, the right seat can be installed on the left side by removing the plastic thingies.
(For some reason, the right seat always feels better to me, in any position.)
Odds are, if your car is already in such a state, the parking brake handle crosspin may be worn. In place of the parking brake pieces, install a bolt in place of the pin and use it to anchor your seat belt end. Gotta stay safe!

I've done it many times.

Truth is, a driver seat only Scirocco can haul a lot of cargo.

Ah, you have reminded me, I did indeed have to frig around with the bearings
some.  I can't recall if I just cut the part that sticks out away from the
bearing, or if I swapped sides (which I don't think works since the holes
are in different spots...

The GTI you rode in when you were here had a passenger side Corrado in the
drivers' slot.  It works, but you might have to sacrifice some bearing to
get it done...

David