WOT: Motorcycle version of Scirocco...

This post drones on a bit - don't feel compelled to read it all before chiming in.  :)

Advice Wanted...

Hi all.  I've got that stupid urge to own a motorcycle again.  I've been thinking a lot about what I'm looking for and realized that my goals for a motorcycle are similar to some of the goals my Scirocco achieves.  That means that someone on this list may have some input for me.

Here is the description of what I am looking for, and you will see the Scirocco similarities plainly enough, I think:

First of all, this is my first bike.  I intend to put some real effort into learning how to ride one before I go off by myself.  I've scoped out a safety course and what I think is appropriate riding gear.  That and a well-tamed wrist will hopefully keep me out of trouble.

goals:

1.  Not scary fast, but enough that once I'm comfortable driving it I won't want to ditch it.  Like a STOCK scirocco - good handling and performance, but lets face it that they aren't 911 turbos or anything.

2.  Relatively simple to work on.  I'm not looking for the equivalent of a MK4 here.  I'm willing to take old reliable technology and it's performance penalties for the ease of maintenance, albeit increased maintenance, of an older machine.

3.  Affordable parts, to whatever degree that's possible.

4.  Reliable basic mechanicals - like a VW, the electrical system may be crap, but it's likely to just up and keel over in the middle of a trip unless you mistreat it or overlook some maintenance.

5.  More than two cylinders - sorry, I'm just not into the thumpers and such.  Harleys and 250s need not apply.

Now, here is my completley uneducated idea of what I should get.  I'm thinking of "H-brand" Interceptors - either the VF500F ('84-'86, I think) or VFR700* ('86 to '87).  These bikes seem to fit the bill, with the right mechanicals, pricing, aesthetics, and performance.  I have ridden the 500 and it just seems to fit me a lot better than bikes (like a newer GSXR) that are bulkier (i.e. I'm 5'8" 140lbs.).  They probably won't lose any significant value in the next few years either, which will help since I'm new at all of this.  My main concern is that these may be so old that the parts are hard to come by or at a premium.  Again, the scirocco model, with this great network of ours and the thousands built, fits the picture neatly because it has an old-school nature without being obscure. I know the newer bikes are way beyond these in performance, but these probably have more than enough for my tastes.

I have a thing against Yamaha, so that is out.

Like every sciroccophilic boy racer, I'd like something with a bit of a fairing and sportier stance, and keeping the weight down is a preference.

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.