Heater controls, and more synchronicity

So not wanting Klaus to be alone in his heater control woes (he still has a
dead blower fan, uncorrected due to other needier VWs), the Cabby is
demanding my attentions, as she will head off to University shortly.
Among her other problems is "lack of direction" of her airflow from the
vents, she does defrost, that's it. Bentley suggests some vaccuun tests,
any helpful hints for me? The heat/cold part works, the heater controls in
the dash are connected and quite recent, so am I going to be golden if I
hook up my trusty vaccuum guage and have at it? (And on the heater
synchronicity note, the POS still needs a core to go into winter duty...not
my problem) Advice is welcome.

Also: Wipers- work on high only, likely a bad connection up in the stalk
assembly?
Sloppy shifting: Likely the "lollipop" has broken in the linkage?

Synchronicity:
1. Heater stuff, see above
2. Axles: Well, we all know the Valdez is likely to need an axle at any
given moment, and that last weekend was mainly about installing axles that
actually matched Gino's flanges. So the Cabby will get one tomorrow...the
outer boot is destroyed and the axle's getting noisy.(Sidenote, I now own
lifetime warrantees on all axle options from Crap Tire, 90s and 100s, both
sides)
3. Brakes: Both the Bug and Gino are (were) making noise from the passenger
rears, and the Cabby got new rotors and pads today.
4. Tires: don't even ask.

That's about it from here THIS WEEK. Krikey. So tomorrow will be work, and
hopefully I can get that axle done after that. Always something, eh?

cathy