What are your cars names'?

On 10/12/05, Kevin Brosha <kjbrosha@gmail.com> wrote:
>  I noticed several of you referring to what I thought were the names of
> people, but were really the names of your cars!!
>  So I ask, "What is(are) your car's(cars') name(s)"?

I've had many, many Sciroccos over the last 15 or so years, some of
them received names, but not all.

My first ever Scirocco (an 80) was affectionately named "Salva - the
German Gino" WAY back when by my highschool friends.  I guess they
thought it was the German equivalent to a Z28... :)  Although it
wasn't my first car (that was a 1980 Rabbit GTI), I will always fondly
remember it.  It represented freedom and youth.  Ahhhh the good old
days...  :)  I quite literally drove it into the ground.  The VERY
tired stock engine could barely make it up the slightest hill - it had
10hp tops in the end.  The floor ended up rotting out so bad that I
could see my collection of junk food wrappers on the floor from the
outside!  My seat sat about 3 inches lower than it should have...  I
couldn't kill that car though - my friends and I repeatedly smashed it
into my old Pinto field car out behind my parent's place, and tore
around the trails, but I had to turn off the key - we couldn't kill
it...  Neighbors had started to gather to see what all the noise was
about, and most weren't smiling, so the party was over...  It still
sits there, almost submerged in the ground, completely trashed by kids
over the years.  I should take a pic - definitely the saddest looking
Scirocco EVER.  It lived on as a great parts car for years though, so
no tears were shed...

"Black Betty" (bam-ba-lam) was my first Mk2 (an 83 wolfie).  Not very
original, but oh well, that's what she ended up with...  She ended up
going out in style though  - I got a couple friends to help push the
dead car up on a car dolly (on her way to the wreckers) and after many
failed attempts we pushed a little too hard on the last one and the
end result was Black Betty "beached" on the dolly with her front
wheels dangling...  Major PITA, but a good laugh regardless...

"Jacques" was another Mk2 (another 83).  The name was a play on
France's president - Jacques Shirac.  I was also living in Montreal at
the time, so the name stuck...  He went on inspire my friend Sean (who
some of you met at Cincy) to get into Sciroccos after I sold it to
him.  Jacques' final chapter will be this weekend when I strip him
down and send him to the crusher (fear not, he's WAY far gone...  Now
the rustiest Mk2 I've ever seen...)

I bought "Ole Paul", an 80 S, from lister Kervin down in Virginia.
This was the first in a series of many semi-addictive trips to the
U.S. to haul Mk1's up to Canada.  Kervin named him (after the previous
owner I believe), and I saw no reason to change his name.  After
serving me well for a year or two Ole Paul still sits in my shop,
waiting for his eventual transformation into a giant killer.  Words
like 'mid-engine', 'rear wheel drive', 'turbo Audi V8', and 'quattro'
have been whispered into his ears/mirrors, but that project is slotted
in behind finishing the 75, so I don't see him even killing any
midgets anytime soon...

"Black Death" was the 81S whose life I extended more than anyone in
their right freakin' mind would do.  He sideswiped a ditch at the
hands of his previous owner, and years later I had to do some major
surgery to keep it (semi) roadworthy.  The entire driver side
fender-well had rusted and separated at the "kinks", and had to be
welded/re-enforced.  This car had so many roadside repairs done to it,
I'm surprised it never left me stranded.  His final year of life was a
tortured one.  After a heart transplant (ABA/JH swap) he went on to
haul many Mk1's on a dolly up to Canada.  The last two years of
repairs on this car were all done with the "it only has to last a few
more months" attitude, and it showed.  As some Cincy goers can attest,
my battery was a "sproutin' onion" of wire and inline fuses as one
electrical circuit after another was abandoned and rewired directly.
Generous use of spray foam insulation was used to seal unsealable
holes in the raintray. He wasn't pretty, but that car had fucking
heart!

My latest Scirocco, the 86, is sorta named Phil, since he's from
Philly, but I don't know if it'll stick or not...  Kinda boring (no
offence to anyone named Phil though!)...  I haven't owned him (yup,
he's all man! :D) long enough to get a feel for his personality...
We'll see...

Well what started out as a quick list turned out to be half a novel...
 Hopefully at least one of you was semi-entertained!  :)

Later,

Mark.
75
80 S
86
90 Audi Coupe Quattro - 10vt ** For Sale **