From: Neptuno
To: Jim Ruffi ; scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 1:35 PM
Subject: Re: Steering rack grommet question
Jim,

I dont have the information you need, but I wondered if this visual aid
maybe of help? Is the boot on the rigth of the picture the one you are
refering to?
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b54/thejorma2/heart%20trasnplant/DSC00589.jpg

Jim Ruffi <sciroccos@earthlink.net> wrote:
Forgive me for taking advantage of the list lately, but I am hoping to
replace the steering column to rack boot while I have my trans out and am
not sure about something:

VW lists the boot as a 2 piece deal: an elbow-shaped boot and what appears
to be a plastic through-firewall ring-type deal. I only ordered the elbow,
figuring the ring part to be on the inside of the car.

Now, I'm not sure and I'm concerned that I should've ordered both. The elbow
should arrive at the dealer today. I hope to install it and get to other
stuff before the clutch/trans install, but I'm stuck at work and can't check
my car to see if I might need to have the dealer overnight the ring
part.....I was thinking that maybe the ring represents the 2nd half of and
upgraded design and I really need both parts.

Has anyone replaced that boot and if so, can you tell me if the ring part
sits on the inside of the firewall?

Once again, sorry, and thanks for your help!

Jim