Almost success, was - > Re: Battery cable ruled out

After mucking about and re-installing air filter and assembly, i got
the engine to turn over (first heard clicking from the starting
trying unsuccessfully to mesh with flywheel teeth - put the car in
gear, pushed on it a little, and...bam, engine turned over.

HOWEVER, my fuel pump doesn't seem to be running now.  the little hum
i was used to before starting, when the key was turned, is now gone -
engine will not start.

none of the fuses under the dash are blown.  relay clicks shut, opens
in a few seconds.

???

blake/
16v '88