Phaeton about to become a rare commodity state-side....

But, unlike virtually any other engine layout, the cylinders under each head are not parallel.  They may be far enough apart at the top and not far enough apart at the bottom.  VR6's tend to crack with a little boost pressure, too, apparently - at least they crack way more often than the VW 4-bangers do.  Unlike what we are hearing here about the W12's, at least you have to boost it to get it to fail.  Sheesh.

Vintage Pheaton owners.  Sounds hard to believe.  I'm sure when, 20 years from now, VW is known as a luxo-esque brand, there will be someone out there who's still in love with their "first real Volkswagen" and can't understand why it was a complete failure. I hope I'll be around to smack them in the head.

BH