Phaeton about to become a rare commodity state-side....

That's interesting, because if you look at the top of any of VW's
narrow angle V engines the distance from cylinder to cylinder is
pretty huge which is why they're managing to up the VR-6 to 3.6L.
Not saying the cylinder walls aren't thin, just saying there doesn't
appear to be a space reason why they should be unlike our humble 4
cylinder engines.
OTOH the cranks are fitting alot of rods onto a damn short crankshaft.
The cranks look pretty spindly to me.