Smoking from the tranny hole?? Starter toast?

gawd - that intro could be twisted several ways...  :D

Anyway, I sure many of you have had the symptom where you're cranking and
cranking and cranking (though I really only remember having this happen on a
mk1...) and then it feels like the starter's being choked ->  "rrrrtt,
rrrtttt"  (it's terrible trying to phoneticize (is that even a word?) a sounds
that the car is making....)

Well after several rounds of cranking, I notice smoke coming from the tranny
plug hole. At first, my mind went to the clutch, but the PO supposed installed
a new one right before I bought it (couldn't be more than 1000 miles on it).
And mechanically it doesn't make a lot of sense. Another few rounds of
cranking finally brought on what sounded like a gnawing of gears.  I gave up
because I had to get ready to spend the afternoon w/ the family.

Does anybody have a similar experience where it _wasn't_ the starter?  I have
a small window to work on cars tomorrow and I'd much prefer to install my
CD/mp3 player into the M5 rather than troubleshoot this only to find out it
much more than just the starter...

Hope everyone's having a good weekend!

Thx, JT