Way OT- A Little bit of bragging (Some Scirocco Content)

Nice job!

----- Original Message -----
From: "David L. Winchell, II" <davidwinchell2@sprynet.com>
To: "Scirocco List" <Scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 12:55 PM
Subject: Way OT- A Little bit of bragging (Some Scirocco Content)

Ok, Some of you may know that among the many things I do, I coach a girls
youth soccer team, the James Island U-12G Storm.

The team has struggled over the four years that my daughter has been on the
team.  They have had losing season after losing season for all of that time.
Last fall the team coach was relieved of his posting for a threatening
action towards a ref. (He threw his cap on the field after tackle that
injured one of our girls.)

Two of the other fathers and myself took over the team last season (spring
season) in order for the girls to continue playing.  Our goal last season
was to improve play and hold all teams scoreless for half of the game.  We
did that and tied several games, but couldn't put in a win.  Our goal this
season was to continue to improve and beat our rival team that is the other
James Island U-12Girls (Sharks).  Our first game of the season was against
them and we beat them.  It was sweet. Our season was highlighted with that
win.

As we entered the James Island Cup Tournament this past weekend were the
heavy underdog.  Our first game was against a Summerville team that has
taken the first place trophy for the cup several times. We game out of the
that game with a 3-1 win that gave us 9 tournament points out of a possible
10 per game. That was Saturday morning. Our girls were real excited. Our
next game was Sunday at 12:00 noon.  We were playing a Mount Pleasant team
that had beaten us earlier in the year. They came out on the field thinking
they had already won.  Our girls fought hard and kept them scoreless getting
the shut out point.  We had a lot of shots on goal, but for most of the game
we just couldn't get the right touch we need to put the ball in the net.
Then on a corner kick the ball was crossed in front of the goal and one of
our girls knocked it in.  We put two in right behind that to put our win
down as a 3-0 win giving the full 10 points for the match. Our final game
was scheduled an hour and a half later while out opponents had not played
since their 8:00 am game. As we entered the final game we were so far ahead
of everyone else in our bracket that all we needed to win the top spot was
two tournament points.  (Basically two goals or a tie.) We came in the game
with a drive to beat this team as it was our rival team from the club.  Our
girls came out and put two goals in the net in the first half securing the
championship spot.  Our focus in the second half was defense. We dominated
them through the first fifteen minutes of the second half as I had my
strongest girls out there. As they tired and we subbed, we ended up with a
miscue between two of our girls and our sweeper got beat and the keeper
didn't have much of a chance.  As time ran out they put pressure on to tie
the game and our girls denied them access to our back field.  It was
beautiful to watch.  As the final whistle blew and our girls celebrated, the
Sharks poor attitude was already showing. Several of them would not
participate in the traditional line hand shake and just a couple came
through the tunnel our girls made for them.

The trophy ceremony was great.  The girls were so excited and so were the
parents.  It was really awesome to see them do so well.

Now that the season is over I can actually work on these cars in the drive
way and get them all happily back on the road.

Dave

David L. Winchell, II
DavidWinchell2@sprynet.com
87 2.0L 16V Scirocco