Shifting questions

Dear Barbie,

This may seem a little weird to explain, but I will attempt to make it somewhat simple. I understand that the little yellow light on the dash told you wen you had to shift, but your car will also let you know. Do you know what a Tachometer is? Uh oh...I'm getting ahead of myself........ Here lets try this exercise. Grab that big stick on your right hand...yes you know the one...right the stick shift bingo...now look at the bouncing needless on the dash the one on the left is your tachometer..... with the brake pressed and with the clutch in rev that engine up. See that needle bouncing happy on the dash? That is your engine telling you how fast it is spinning. there is a red section on that tachometer, You usually don't want your needle to spend to much time there. now after you have the car rolling and on 1st gear let off the clutch and accelerate...as fast as you can almost to the red line, then go into second do the same for all the gears. That should catch the attention of all the
 great law enforcement boys and girls. A great dating tool if you ask me.

Sinisterly yours,
Cletus

Julie Macfarlane <juliemac57@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hi, My name is Barbie,

I have an old VW Sciroco, but am having problems.
The little yellow thingy on the dash that tells you when to shift has
stopped working. How do I tell when to shift out of first gear?

Thank you!