OT - truck axles

As we all know, a Scirocco is a much lower car the what the rest of
the world drives.  As such, it affords a great view of the rear axles
of pick-up trucks.  I've noticed, that pretty consistently the shock
absorbers are mounted on different sides of the axle - the left shock,
at the bottom mounts to the rear of the axle, and the right shock (at
the bottom) mounts infront of the axle.
Any ideas?  Something to do with torque distribution perhaps?

Greg

--
Aronsons First Law
People who do crazy things are not necessarily crazy