Fwd: "List"ory

LOL  Well I try my best to embody the theme of
"Not the brightest lightbulb on the Christmas Tree..."  But dammit I
try my best to blink the most.

My dad had an 79 Sciroco that was beat but ran like a scalded dog.  So
I was almost a VW owner in 1989, but I didn't get as high of grades as
he thought I should get so he sold it the day I was supposed to get
it.  Oh well, first you don't succeed...

I bought the '85 in 1999.  And to be honest with you I didn't have a
FRIGGIN clue that there was a MK2 Scirocco.  I thought they stopped
making them in 81.  Some of you are of the opinion that WAS the last
year of the Scirocco.  We were shopping for a car for the wife and it
was sitting there in a used lot.

It was love at first sight.  It had the old style bottlecaps and the
paint was already fading, the sunroof was hanging at an odd
angle--obviously not sealed.  The ass end had that neglected Scirocco
sag to it, and I really had no idea what kind of car it was.  I looked
at it and I told my wife... "Honey come look at this!  If this is what
I think it is--these cars are awesome!"  We started it up and it had a
horrible exhaust leak and there was this semi-funky smell that I
couldn't quite place.  Day one, she hated it.  I figured out what the
smell was when one of my more "educated" Vw buddies came over and said
they all smelled like that.  That's the old VW interior smell.

Six months later I still wasn't sure how to change my oil, and I found
a wrecked 88 for cheap and decided I was going to do an engine swap.
Estimated it would take a weekend.  Waited for a three day weekend and
off I went.  No tools, no clue.  6 weeks or so later I sent out a plea
everywhere I could and found the NW Scirocco List.

That's where I met Shannon, Lisa, all the others--but most importantly
Stan.  Stan got my car running in about 10 minutes of being there.  I
could repair multimillion dollar radar systems for the Navy but I
couldn't get a $900 car running.  (one that ran perfect I might add
before I got the idea to upgrade it)

My brother.  God I miss him.  To hell with the car and the accident,
he is my friend and I wish I knew where he was.  He was my mentor with
the car.  I knew I could call him and describe what was going on in
all the wrong terms and language and he would say something like Oh
yea... that "thingy" you said was hanging is called a hall sender.
You need a new distributor.  What's a Hall sender you ask?

It's things like that... the infinate patience for the inexperienced
is one of the reasons I am here.  I know only a little more than than
I did 6 years ago, but it's not necessarily the wisdom itself that is
important; it's knowing where to seek it that is.
Although I have been an offical member since last year I have browsed
and lurked before.  I came through Cincy in 2003, went into an import
shop in Fairfield Ohio, and was looking for stuff for my car, and the
owner asked me if I knew Daun.  I didn't at that point and I called
him and was actually talking about buying an engine but circumstances
prevented me from going up to meet him.  I was told if you want to
know anything about a Scirocco he was the one to talk to.  ;)

So I was meant to wander around and find you guys eventually.

Chris