90a alternator?

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 11:20:38 -0500, Greg Pallett <greg.rocco@gmail.com>
wrote:

>So I'm avoiding work this morning and instead cruising the Scirocco
>classifieds on the 'tex.  Some dude  has a 90 amp alternator... I've
>heard people talk about upgrading to that form the 65a, but given my
>limited understanding of 'lectricity, I haven't given it much thought.
>But since monday was payday, what are the pros and cons of upgrading
>to the 90a alternator?

A reasonably easy conversion on my car.  I chose to modify the
original wiring (replaced the plug with new terminals) and add another
path (large wire) back to the battery.  No more red zone on the
voltmeter with lights, heater fan, etc. turned on.

If it's not a "fix it now - it's broken" deal, take your time and look
around for a freshly rebuilt one.  They come up on ebay often, usually
listed under "Audi alternator."  I paid about 35 bucks for mine w/
shipping.

http://pws.prserv.net/gforbess/scirocco/alternator.jpg

Gordon

75 Mk1/Drake 1.9