Cincy tech sessions

Most laptops are capable of this - even when their screens are
smaller. My screen is 1024x768.

Go open Display Properties (right click desktop > Properties)
Go to the settings tab.

Now - this will usually only display up to your monitor's maximum.

Click the advanced button - bottom right...

Now go to the monitor tab.

See that option down there that says "Hide modes your monitor cannot
display". This will work on LCDS - but usually not on CRTs (regular
big monitors). But you can try! wait 30 seconds if it does not work!

Now you can go back to the settings tab in display properties and set
it to 1280x1024. Your screen will look cut off - but the whole thing
will move when you move your mouse to the edge of the screen. Neat -
huh?