1.8t vs. 9A 2.0l COnversion

If you're converting from a 1.8 16V then the 9A is as simple as it can get.
Everything just bolts in.

As far as the 1.8T there are two basic versions of this engine. There is the
early (up to somewhere in 2000) longitudinaly mounted engine in the Passat
and Audi A4. (AEB, ATW)
This engine's block is very similar to the JH, PL, 9A in that the water
pump, oil pump and auxilary shaft are all in the same place. It will
physically bolt to the 020 tranny and the passenger side mount will bolt
right on. So, it's pretty straightforward to actually bolt the engine in and
the 020 tranny will probably be OK as long as you don't go for big power.
After it's in you will need to buy or fabricate the following things:
Clutch and flywheel. A 16V pressure plate isn't going to cut it with this
engine. You'll need to buy an aftermarket clutch.
Intercooler and mounting.
Exhaust downpipe. I think TT makes a downpipe for this application in the A1
chassis.
Intercooler piping.
Custom intake filter.
Custom upper radiator hose.
And then there's the engine management. CIS isn't going to be a worthwhile
solution for fuel. You either need to wire in the management that came with
the engine (and then if you want more performance you'll have to pop $400
for a chip!) or go with aftermarket engine management.

If you want to go to a bigger turbo then you'll probably need to install the
02J transmission. I make mounting brackets to install this tranny into the
A1 chassis so that isn't too difficult, but it has a cable shifter which
requires fabrication and cutting a hole in your chassis to mount, and it
uses a hydraulic clutch which requires fabrication and cutting a hole in
your chassis to mount.

All the other 1.8T engines have very different blocks. The basic bore,
stroke, bore spacing, bearing sizes are the same, but the water pump and oil
pump are completely different and there is no auxilary shaft. The passenger
side bracket will not bolt to this engine (that's OK since I make this
too!).

All in all it's not much different to install than the early 1.8T other than
the PS mount and you also need a custom lower radiator hose. Also, nobody,
to my knowledge, makes a downpipe for the transverse 1.8T engine into the
A1. So, that's a custom fabrication (which I also make)
The engine management that came with these engines generally also included
an immobilizer that needs both the ignition switch and instrument cluster
from the donor car (and something else that I can't remember) which, in this
case, makes it a really difficult choice to wire in the stock 1.8T engine
management.

Cost in general terms:
9A $600 ? with a used engine.
1.8T $3000 min? if you use an 020 tranny and a used engine. Maybe less if
you fab your own stuff.
It's easy to spend way more than that of course!
I think I covered most of it.
Dan