[OT: TDI] Eternal error code & stealership

> From: Spewey <spewey@comcast.net>
> Date: 2005/05/24 Tue PM 07:45:26 EDT
> To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
> Subject: [OT: TDI] Eternal error code & stealership
>
> The gf's 2000 TDI Golf is going back in to the stealership for the
> umpteenth time since birth for a CEL that won't quit. It has been
> previously diagnosed as an obscure warm-up (glow plug system) problem
> code by VW and that is what her regular shop (
> http://www.sciperformance.com ) confirmed as well. Trouble is, they turn
> it off and it comes back right away. Once the (then almost new) car died
> on they way home on her but mostly it works.
>
> I am going in to try to lay some smackdown on them on Thursday but am
> looking for any advice that our TDI fans may have. I don't know the
> specific code and have looked at TDIclub.com but saw nothing similar. It
> would be really nice to have the CEL function as intended instead of
> always on.

It's a fairly common occurence for the glow plug harness to be replaced, and occassionally all the glow plugs.  Have they done either of these?  If not, that is what I would strongly suggest they do...

The harness is about 40.00 (depending on your engine code), you will need two connectors at 4.50 each, and then the glow plugs will be 38.00 or 59.00 depending on the brand.  If you replace all four, you CAN replace them all with either brand (straight from VW TECH on that one)...

Hope that helps, LMK if you need more info...

David

'83 GTI, Daily Driver...
'87 16V, parts car
'82 pickup, 2.0 16V, collecting dust...