wtd: mk1 vent glass -- movable or am i dreaming

On 8:52:10 am 05/17/05 George Herndon <gherndon@eyeontech.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> i have a '78 with movable vent windows.  does anyone have replacement
> glass with the hardware attached?  my drivers side won't hold the
> latch anymore (missing glass / depression where latch attaches) and
> the passenger side bottome hinge pin doesn't line up to the glass any
> longer.
>
> i work down the street from a glass shop and their trying to be
> helpful but recommend replacing both sides.  these are almost
> unobtainable but a wholesale glass search is quoting $85 a piece.
> these are supposed to be framed, so they will come with the hardware
> attached and i presume the triangular frame for the window opening.
>
> my seals are in great shape so i'd prefer to keep the movables.  if
> not an option, i'd substitute fixed in a heartbeat.
>
> as always, your help and opinions are greatly appreciated.
>
> george
> charlotte, nc

Not sure about the earlier MkIs, but my '80 parts car has them, and the
handles fall off them, it's a design flaw. You'll find they are very
difficult to find, and that (at least on the later MkIs) they are pretty
well unobtaneum. I can look at the 80 to see if there is a frame or not,
but the handle/latch just glues in place, and won't stay stuck. I've
wondered if you could drill them and install a cabby style set of latches.
I'll have to go look a them again, the opening style is pretty cool, and
quite retro.

GL with them.
Cathy