Alt problem?

As I recall, that's a normal function of the regulator.  It should normally
kick in when you start the car, but never seems to on most water cooled VWs
from my experience.  I have to check out my Bosch handbook for more info.

Maybe it's because well-adjusted CIS cars have such a narrow idle range, as
compared to many others.
:-)

Jim