Gas Tank Recall - Success Story!

I put my 87 16v back on the road last week.  Mainly to drive it for the
summer and partly since my returning collage student would like to have
something to drive too (they get the DD Jetta, I get the Scirocco).
After everything checked out satisfactorily with the car after it's down
time, I headed off to fill up the tank.  Well, I could smell gas as soon
as I opened the door upon returning from my fill up at the gas station.
The tank was not seeping it was dripping!

The next day I called my friendly local VW dealer and asked to speak to
the service manager.  He said he remembered the recall on the tank and
would look up my VIN to see if it had been done.  After a quick check he
said the recall on the car was still 'open'.  We set up an appointment
for an inspection to make sure the tank was leaking.

I got the call this afternoon from the dealer stating that the tank was
indeed leaking and that the repair was approved my VW and that parts
were ordered.  It may be ready on Thursday however; Friday is more
likely. I will keep you posted as to the progress and if there are any
bumps in the road along the way.
Rick Kellner