ghetto rigging a fuel guage

One of the main things on my list of stuff to do before Cincy is rig my fuel guage up so I have an approximate idea of how much is in the tank. Here's the problem though. All the dash wires have been cut (the live ones weren't even capped!) so nothing in my dash works (odometer included). I would assume the sensor is still in the tank and the only thing missing is the wire that actually connects to the guage part. What's the easiest, cheapest, MacGyver-like way to tell how much fuel is in my tank? Oh, and to complicate things, I cannot find my way around a wiring diagram like what's in Bentleys so that option is out.

Thanks,
Dan