Tire inflation

> I usually go 4 under the max psi to allow for heat expansion (with
non-oem size tires).

iirc, max pressure is based on a cool tire, and already accounts for heat
expansion

> Keep in mind, it wouldn't be wise to run a 40 seires tire with little
sidewall at 35 psi around town.

exactly, a wheel repair guy (owner of wheelbendermender) suggested to even
run them slightly higher than max rated when only driving around town
(taking up some of the slack provided by the conservative max pressure
rating). be sure to deflate to max before doing any highway driving.

> Also, running a higher tire pressure effectively raises your spring
rate.

more importantly, it focuses wear on the center of the tread, while the
typical vw enthusiast driving style focuses wear at the outer edges, so i
find that it tends to all balance out in the end.

hth
Al

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger Scirocco GTO 2.0 16v (my daily, 210k, rocco #6)
86 Kamei Twin 16V Turbo Scirocco GTX (30% complete, rocco #7)
86.5 Occo 16v Trailer (rocco #8)
82 Caddy Diesel (family workhorse, 160k)
90 Passat GL 16V (the wifes daily, 210k)
92 Passat GL 16V (possible wifes next daily - might pick up @ cincy)