RE: Journey Complete - NorCal to Philly

-----Original Message-----
From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of GGehrke
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2005 9:30 PM
To: Scirocco list
Subject: Re: Journey Complete - NorCal to Philly

When you guys get a chance, one thing I'm particularly interested in
in your route and timeframe, as detailed as you can stand to make it.
Next month I'm going to be making a trip from Vegas to Kentucky to
Maryland, and would be curious how you went.

-Grant-

-----

Grant,

It all depends on your driving style and the comfortable cruising speed of
the vehicle. Even in a Scirocco you should be able to make Vegas to most
places in KY in two 13+ hour days of driving with an overnight stop
somewhere in middle. Note that this means zero stopping to look at things
along the way and brief food/fuel/piss stops.

If you have a more comfortable car with a decent range and are like me and
do not like to stop more then once every 6 to 7 hours, this can be done in a
day in a half.

In June of 2002 I drove from Philly to Las Vegas in 39 hours in my Scirocco.
Balls to the wall for 35 of those 39 hours, with 4 hours of sleep on the
side of the road in KS. I will never be able to duplicate this feat, it was
a tough ride!

In May of 2004 I drove from Dayton, OH to just west of Laramie, WY in one
days time in my RIP C230. Good fuel economy, cruise control, a very
comfortable car, and only stopping twice allowed me to do this from dawn to
midnight in one day.

If you have never driven long distances before give yourself extra time. If
driving an old car, bring tools and give yourself lots of extra time.

-Marc

'83 VW Scirocco California Edition
'84 VW GTI Bunny Truck
'87 VW Scirocco 16v