Re: Shrine to the Scirocco: A Rasterbation

Okay, that is SO cool. I've not seen that site. (now I'm thinking of where
I can backlight a huge image through vellum...perhaps the garage
ceiling...) As for the plant? Well, it should live for ya, those are tough
suckers. It looks like it needs some friends though.

maybe we need an arts and crafts subgroup...winter is SO long......

Cathy
BSc in Botany.....

So my roomates and I have been finding ways lately to make our room a
little more interesting (I live in a dorm at a military academy, not
the most interesting place).  I'm pretty sure the "Rasterbator" <
http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/ > has been discussed here before,
but if you're not familiar with it, it takes a regular jpg image,
blows it up huge, and pixelates it in a style reminiscient of
newsprint or pop-art.  Very cool.  Very retro.
What else is very cool and very retro?
SCIROCCOS.

http://www.xgtgx.com/img/RasterRocc.jpg
http://www.xgtgx.com/img/Closeup.jpg
http://www.xgtgx.com/img/withdesk.jpg

I used rasterbator to make a tribute to the scirocco.  I based it on this:
< http://www.xgtgx.com/img/scirocco-web1.jpg >
an illustration I did about a year ago now.
It is 40 pages of 8.5x11 paper, measuring 3'8"x6'6" to fill the entire
space on that wall (we have a rather unique, space saving setup where
our beds are elevated like bunks, but over our desks).  It took a good
portion of a brand new ink cartridge and about 2 hours to make
including trimming and taping.  I think I'm going to still try to
mount it to poster board to make it more sturdy.  I'm sure it's also
completely against our room regulations, so someone is bound to yell
at me soon, but I like it.  In the third picture you can see another
rasterbation I did at the beginning of the year of my BMW.  That one
is truly a shrine, as I also have displayed a couple more pictures of
it, my old licence plate ("MTECH") and a piece of the bumper that was
broken off when my sister wrecked it while I was away at school.  You
might also notice in the third picture that a picture of my girlfriend
managed to sneak its way into the mess of car pictures.  I count 6
cars and one girlfriend.  Nobody tell her about that one.

In other arts and crafts news, we also made snowflakes and got a
potted plant.  yay.
http://www.xgtgx.com/img/snowflakes.jpg

This place is just itching for spring break.  We're all going nuts.
One week left.

-Grant-

Cathy
"The corroding wind of a hot Sirocco has known depressing effects. People
have reported various symptoms such as an unwonted dullness, an
aching melancholy feeling, enervation, being easily annoyed, having
irritating dreams etc... It can easily affect anyone,...
unaware of the cause of their mental misery."