Re: Radiator problem.

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 16:39:25 -0500, Greg Pallett <greg.rocco@gmail.com> wrote:
Ok, so last week I asked about motor mounts and such.. but I think my
car is changing it's (his?) priorities on me.
I seem to be developing a real overheating problem, first evidenced
friday afternoon.  The needle went WAY  up to the end, but didn't hit
that last line on the gauge. (thank goodness) When the car cooled down
later I doscovered  there was no fluid in my overflow resivoir.  I
filled up and drove to an errand. The car ran hot, but didn't
overheat.
After getting home, I popped the hood and heard a spitting or hot
sizzling metal/water..
So, I've got a problem.
What's the best way to diagnose this?  I don't want to get splattered
with hot coolant trying to find the leak...
How do I know if I need a new raiator?
Or, being as that I'm prepared to spend around $300 for motor mounts..
do I push that to the back burner (again) and take it to my best
friend, loyal and trusty vw mechanic?
Things to keep in mind - this car is my daily driver, so I can't tear
the radiator apart for a few days to play around.... and I work full
time and am a part-time student..
Whew!  IT may be frustrating, but I do love that car...
THanks in advance
Greg

I forgot to mention - this occured after a night of record cold - it
was 14 deg. when I got up at 4 am..  Aren't there things called freeze
plugs?  I didn't see mention of them after a 3 minute look in my
bently..
Could this be anything?