Re: What's up?

What kind of friend would I be if I did not give you shit about it.
Oh and no more episodes of "This Old Dub" in 30 degree weather

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 07:57:54 -0800 (PST), Neptuno <neptunonc@yahoo.com> wrote:
Ok so last week I put a stress bar on my car. It felt good and it made me happy to know that it was under the hood of the car. but something odd began to happen?????

I found myself noticing that my idle got worse (It has been problematic but not bad). I figure that I get too it and figure out what it was that was making my car shoot up the RPM's.

Friday night I went to a local GTG in Burtonsville, MD. Here I found 2 of the MD Scirocco addicts enjoying some coffee with the rest of the VW fans present at the time. I told them that right after I parked my beast that the freaking thing shoot the RPM's to 2500. They thought I was messing with them and then one mention that they thought my newly installed stress bar was the culprit. We go to the parking lot and look under the hood and damn it if the throttle cable was not pinched. The bar was for A1, mk1 83 rabbit so I thought nothing to put it on my 82 rocco. I noticed when I installed it that it cleared everything, but not by some huge margin. It still seem alright. In any case the motor rocks and as it gains load the little gap there was between that bar and the motor would close pinching the cable.

Moral of the story if you have an MK2 rocco make sure you have plenty of room before you go putting a bar that is made to fit in the small clearance space for a Rabbit.

El Stupido,
Tony.

PS: thanks Roger and Brian for giving me shit about it while I took the bar off.

Dan Bubb <jdbubb@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
Well, the list is just dead as a doornail.

So, I thought I'd let you all know about my boring weekend.

I've been making mounting brackets to install 02J trannies and the later transverse engines into the
A1 chassis. Well, I've made and sold three sets.
Sold the last set Saturday morning.
$395 for all three brackets, all the rubber mounts pressed in and both core charges for the stock
mounts. Nice!
But, why can't anybody rustle up a stock mount? Lazy bastards! Maybe they like paying the "generous"
core charges!

Well, that's it for that project for awhile while I concentrate on installing the turbo on my 84.

Now it's time to remove the 02J from my 84 and reinstall the 020 so I can get to welding the
downpipe.

But before I do I might as well rebuild it to install the wider ratios to work with the turbo
engine.
After all the cleanup and bead blasting and powder coating Kirsten and I did to her car I can't just
rebuild and install.
So, yep! It's getting bead blasted and powder coated too.

Cleaning tranny cases is messy at best, but they need to have all the old gear lube really cleaned
out so the beads don't stick to it and so it won't stink up the whole house when the powder coat
gets baked.
And of course the glass beads get into everything no matter how much you mask. Might as well forget
that step. Poor gritty little needle bearings!
Finally mask, powder coat and bake. Notice some powder coat falling off into the bottom of the oven
when I set it in there. Good thing I don't have a wife to complain about me ruining her oven!

But when everything is said and done I will know of only two people that have powder coated tranny
cases ;^)
Still an ugly project.

So, what's everybody up to?
Dan