Crossmember Bars POLL (cross member cross section)

-----Original Message-----
From: scirocco-l-bounces+fahrvegnugen=cox.net@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces+fahrvegnugen=cox.net@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of
Nate Lowe
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 6:44 PM
To: Eric S
Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: Crossmember Bars POLL (cross member cross section)

Ok, I did a a little bit of calculating based on this info and I'm
much more convinced of the strength of this bar. No actual dimensions
were provided and I coulden't find specific information on this metal.
however, I eyeballed the dimensions and was able to find info on
similar metal that was about 30% thinner. Based on my assumptions and
simplifications, the bar should hold just fine with no fatigue
problems for the forseeable future (although I'm very much more sure
about uncracked crossmembers as I am about cracked ones, but it should
be fine for both). Basically it should hold the forces put on it by
the engine and not fatigue at all.

The only astrisk I can put on this is that I didn't have the actual
dimensions of the bar. I don't think my eyeball estimations would be
far enough off to make a difference though.

I do have one more question that I posed to Larry and Allyn but didn't
get a responce. Did VW, during the same time as they changed the
crossmember, also go to the thinner and less tough metal for the arms
that the bumpers attach to? I'm not sure if this could be a problem or
not later on. Of course this wouldn't have anything to do with the
usefulness of the bar, but would be something for us to start thinking
about now if it does turn out to be a problem.

I know most of you have stopped caring about this already, but I felt
it was only fair that I voiced my acceptance to the bar as loudly as I
voiced the concerns I had. All I really wanted about this was some
proof, and based on the information Eric provided I was able to give
that to myself.
Nate

I do see that there is a change in the part number mid-year.  I would
imagine this change coincided with the gas tank changes as well...  So, it
does appear that your theory holds water... :)

Cheers,
  David