Cleaning an O2 sensor

-----Original Message-----
From: scirocco-l-bounces+fahrvegnugen=cox.net@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces+fahrvegnugen=cox.net@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of C
Boyko
Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2005 9:15 AM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Cleaning an O2 sensor

I've got an old O2 sensor from the one Passat that I want to make use of,
but it has a bunch of sooty, loose material on its tip, I'd like to know
what I could safely use to clean it up a bit so it can actually "see" the
exhaust stream. I'm guessing gas, but would immersing it damage it? HAve at
it, I'm sure someone has an opinion, or a suggestion. And no, I don't want
to buy a new one, I just hope to use it for some ghetto gas analysis on my
CIS car.

Cathy

How long has it been sitting?  If more than a year or so, sling it.  In my
experience, anything longer than that and it is either slow, or doesn't work
at all.  Chemtool or brakeclean would be the thing to use to clean it,
either leaves a residue.  To my knowledge gas would do so and gum it up...
Cheers,
  David

PS--  Thanks for the stickies, I got them yesterday...  :)