VW Coolant

The novel:

That's a real good question... I did read a lot about different
coolants and one thing that pops into mind is that the silicates are
bad because they can be slightly abrasive to water pump bearings and
after a while they precipitate out and make a gummy mess if you don't
keep it changed, but the upside is not only are they a good corrosion
inhibitor, but they will actually patch erosion damage on water pump
impellers that comes from cavitation.  G-12 has nothing similar in it
to "patch".  I also understand that how traditional coolants inhibit
corrosion is that they deposit a very thin layer of their inhibitors,
whether they are phospates, silicates, borates, or a combination of
these, on all surfaces inside the cooling system.  This insulates the
parts from any corrosive elements.  G-12 or other OAT coolants do not
do this, they are formulated to make the solution not corrosive for a
longer period of time.

I have had, especially on my VR6, blue crusties at the end of hoses
where they clamp onto fittings, well in advance of hose failure.  The
first time I didn't recognize what was happening, I just thought I
wasn't getting a good seal, and then the hose finally burst at a ring
of weakened material just ahead of the fitting barb.  What was
happening was that the inside of the hose at this "ring" had finally
given way and the coolant was getting into that middle layer with the
fabric and migrating up to the end of the hose through there.  I never
really lost an appreciable amount of coolant while this was going on
though.

I wonder if the blue stuff is better at "repairing" or plugging tiny
leaks like this because of the silicates, and just masking a problem
that is already there, while the G12 is not?  I know I saw tiny pitting
on my cylinder head inlets on my Scirocco where the o-ring goes.

I personally think that the G-12 was VW's attempt at trying to shield
themselves from customers who don't maintain their cars during the
warranty period.  I bought my VR6 new, didn't change the blue stuff
until about 3 years, when it had JUST started turning greenish yellow.
3 years was well within my 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty,
and if I had let it go, I might have had headgasket leakage from
pitting that they might have had to fix.  I have since changed coolant
at least every 2 years and have not had headgasket problems or any
other unusual cooling system problems, corrosion or deposit buildups in
8 years and 150,000 miles.  The inside of my cooling system is as clean
as can be and my water pump lasted until about 135,000 miles, quite
high for a VR6.  The blue stuff is great if it's maintained properly.
I did not have my Scirocco for the first 10 years of its life and it
came to me with nasty old green stuff so I cannot say if it would have
been in better shape with blue that was changed often.

This is one of the places I remember reading a bit about the chemistry
in layman's terms that I could understand:
http://www.imcool.com/articles/antifreeze-coolant/

John Gates
--
'85 Scirocco