Crossmember Bars POLL

David Utley said:

> I am impressed, sir.  We are well on our way to a bon-a-fide discussion
> here...  ;-)

Its kinda scary...Larry writing more than a one sentence reply?  What has
this world come to? (just a friendly jab Larry)

> However, I have one idea.  All of this presupposes that the front motor
> mount is the cause, or at least the only cause...  I submit the idea that
> the front crossmember cracking may actually be due to the sides of the car
> are stronger than the front?  I wonder if this is not possible, as I have
> yet to see this damage on a Rabbit or at least on one that was not bent
> badly.  If indeed these bars help slow the cracking, and if indeed they
> help
> with steering response, is it -possible- that the real culprit could be
> that
> the body is twisting in the turns, and that it tends to break in the
> center
> where there are coincidentally holes for the front motor mount?

Its not a bad theory...and acutally, the 16v roccos, the most prone to the
cracking, actually have a larger hole for the air intake snorkle, and
thats where they tend to crack first.

> I have no stake in this idea at all, as I do not drive a 'roc at all.
> Feel
> free to tear on my idea, as it is just that.
>   However, I am interested in a couple of Erics' bars.  I am attempting to
> raise funds at the moment.  Eric, you sure you don't want the engine we
> discussed as some sort of trade for one of these?

No thanks Dave, I've gone the complete opposite route, I am decreasing
displacement while increasing HP.  Lookup an EG engine if your systems
show euro engines. ;-)

--
Eric
www.vintagewatercooleds.com

1981 Scirocco S (TDI swap project)
1981 Rabbit Truck LX Diesel -FOR SALE-
1990 Corrado TDI -FOR SALE-
1990 Fox Wagon
1991 Cabriolet (2.0 crossflow 8v project)
1994 Jetta GL