Was: 2k5 pics, now preferred format for scanned pics

Okay, now  question, since I'm semi digital allergic...what's the preferred
file type for scanned photos? I can choose from jpg, gif, and bmp, among
others. I'll have to check, but jpgs aren't an option for one of the colour
(bit) choices, also, for web based stuff, "higher bit" colour is better or
worse? It obviously impacts file size, what's the goal there? (how big vs
how much detail lost...easy sharing vs lost detail...what's best?) And
what's the best file size to aim for?

Thanks, I'll screw it up anyway, but just wondering.

Cathy