was Hot, Hot HOt!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Pieper [mailto:rapieper@yahoo.com]
Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2005 8:19 AM

FWIW, I yanked my oil/coolant heat exchanger because my plans are to use
Evans coolant, which
causes the engine to run hotter (a good thing - and this will start another
branch to this thread,
undoubtedly).  I figured I didn't want my oil soaking up that extra heat,
but I found that my oil
runs 130?C without it!  (2.0L 16v MkI) This is in mild (80?F-ish) temps and
highway driving!
PLUS, since Don Walter switched to Evans and kept his stock heat exchanger,
and reports that his
oil is not much if any hotter than with conventional coolant, I'm gonna
reinstall it some year
soon, and be happy.

Cheapass Ron

That is interesting.  That has not been my experience with Evans.  When I
and a friend first began messing around with Evans, we had two customers
complain about higher oil temps.  We guessed it was the 'cooler' since it
was not desinged for use of Evans.  Once they were off the car, things
cooled down to normal temps.  Perhaps there is a difference between 16Vs and
8Vs, or a difference with the amount of wear and tear on the engine?  I
dunno...

BTW Ron, I experienced the same oil temps in my '83 GTI without the air to
oil cooler I already mentioned.  It has a stock JH, well mostly...  ;-)

Cheers,
  David