Hot, Hot HOt!! (suggestion to bring doen the oil Temp)

I don't know of any reason why the automatic would run hotter than the
manual transmission cars. That would be true of other automatics that run
tranny fluid through a cooler in the radiator, but that is not the case
with older VW automatics.

For my 81, I knew I wanted excess cooling capacity, so I adapted the
radiator and expansion tank from a golf diesel to fit the car. Then I went
with a relatively cool thermostat and cooling fan switch (I don't remember
the specs) and kept the RD's stock oil cooler. Coolant temps stay no higher
than the middle of the gauge (whatever temp that actually represents) and
the oil temps stay very steady and never go past 110 C, even during the
hottest high-speed autocross days.

Cris