From: "GGehrke" <ggehrke@gmail.com>
To: "Scirocco list" <Scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 1:03 PM
Subject: Re: maps.google.com

> So, if your looking at your planned route and thinking it will take a
> long time, do the math considering what YOUR speed will be and it
> shouldn't be as long as you might think.

Though if you are a bit more patient, it may be worth point out that
on such a long road trip (for many of us) you can get a lot better gas
mileage by driving a bit more slowly.  I just got done with a 600 mile
drive and I held 65 almost the entire way for the sake of fuel
economy.  There were stretches going down mountains where I would put
the car into neutral and coast for 3-4 miles.  I also made sure to go
WOT as rarely as possible and avoid quick throttle changes in general.
 By simply paying attention to gas mileage I got phenomenol range ($45
of gas from Washington, DC to Louisville, KY) and could have done it
even cheaper if I hadn't gotten antsy about 6 hours into it and drove
harder for the last few hours.
If only my odometer worked I'd come up with some real stats.  I should
go fix that...

-Grant-