From: scirocco-l-bounces+davidwinchell2=sprynet.com@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces+davidwinchell2=sprynet.com@scirocco.org] On
Behalf Of C Boyko
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 3:31 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Happy, happy, joy, joy

Well, the adventure with my MkI has taken a bend in the road. Finally.

Those who know me well, know that I have been chasing what has
affectionatly been called "assrunning" since September of last year.
This is on my '79, which had a high compression 1.8 dumped into it last
summer. And was fun as hell to drive. Till September or so.

The problems really began after I ran the tank dry, and between Drew Mac
(my wrenching buddy/mentor) and I, we'd been scratching our heads as the
following failed to correct the problem: new fuel filter/different fuel
distributor/new injectors/different used, then new fuel pump/new
relay/various tests on electrical fuel components/pressure tests...
Replaced points with TCI-H, then with knock, then back to no knock,
trying three different knock boxes, three coils, and three ICMs, several
distributors in the process, as well as two different sets of new
wires/caps/rotors Troubleshooting galore on pin this and plug
that...check and double check timing (cam and ignition), gaps,
compression, hell, I even checked valve clearance. 5 gas analysis to set
mix.....and still, nothing ever changed the miss. It just never went
away.

So last night, for whatever reason, after a lot of despair and the
feeling that we'd done everything, we decided to check injector spray.
Recall, these were new injectors. Guess what? Replacing those new ones
with some 10 year old ones Drew had kicking around made the difference.
Now this is not to say that there was no benefit from many of the other
installations, oh no, some of them did help. (The fuel pump for one) But
the injectors were the last piece to the puzzle.

I have to say I learned a lot about ignition systems and CIS along the
way, and I will miss the huffing.

There are two morals to this story, no, three.

1. When you are ready to put the for sale sign on the car, no, make that
the fleet, give it one more try. 2. When replacing fuel system
components, do the injectors LAST, in case you send crud into them. 3.
Don't trust anything to be okay just because you've already replaced it.

And of course, I had the brake switch fire to add additional frustration
to the mess. The new switch has seen 6 hours of road time, and is
working well, so it's a keeper.

SO now I have the car apart again, but for things that I know will do
what I expect them to do, like a gasket to keep old Klaus from piddling
on the floor. It was SO nice to have actual acceleration again, and
there's still room for improvement, the knock ignition needs to go back
in, and the mix is still probably wrong. Small steps. But I'm happy once
again.

The cabby's still broke, the bug's still loud, but Klaus is happy, and
that just puts the spring back in my step.

Thanks for reading, and don't give up.

cathy