Speedo cables suck

You can do this without taking anything apart.  You can see the white
plastic fitting if you look skyward from under the dash right at the base of
the steering column lower cover.  Take a long, fairly large scredriver and
stick it up there so that the blade is positioned just at the end of the
plastic fitting.  Twist 1/2 turn (at most) and it will pop off.  Getting it
back on will probably require removal of the under-dash panel.

Jim