Tell me why...

Tell me why we keep these things on the road?
I just went out to get my daughter from her grandmothers. Earlier, just turn
the key and away I went.
1.5 hours ago? Turn the key, watch the voltmeter drop to 0v. No starter
click, nothing.
Charge the battery fro 40 minutes.
No go, just the same.
Pull at the wiring, try to bypass the ignition wiring. no go.
Try to hot wire the car from the harness at the key switch. No go.
Check the continuity of the grounds. All good.
TRurns out the nut holding the + cables to the starter were coroded.

God damn I hate having to do this diagnostics on the fly.
(PS first day with out a smoke too)

Julie Macfarlane
"Its not just a car! Its an adventure!"
1981 MKI 2L 16v w 2Y