Collapsing US bumpers: safe?

It was raining in Seattle (go figure) and this lady didn't even hit the
brakes. Hit me at 30+mph I looked up in time to think "she's not stopping"
and somewhere in the panic/ohshit mode I remembered dimly that you can
lessen a rear end collision but taking your foot off the brake, and I think
I tried to do that but the car was in gear and I had the clutch in. I don't
know if I panicked and released the clutch or what but I can't really
explain what happened next. She hit me and there was an UNGODLY crunch sound
and my car slid about 5-10 feet. I was leaving to drive cross country that
afternoon too so everything I owned was in the back and I am sure the car is
totaled and all my shit is destroyed. Somewhere in all of this I DID let my
foot off the clutch--not sure it if was pre or post impact. The engine was
dead and I was hoping that she didn't destroy something in my drive line.
 Anyhow I get out of the car with this horrible sinking feeling. I walk
around to the back and there's no damage. I couldn't believe it. MY NECK
HURT but the car was fine. The rear bumper was little tweaked--up a bit
(this is an 85.) She was driving a sunbird or sunfire... something like
that. My bumper was the perfect height to clear her bumper and take out her
grill, headlights, and radiator. So her car was all jacked up but mine came
out of it relatively unscathed. I asked her if she was ok and she was
hysterical--I got the whole big story 20 year old single mom trying to go to
college, make ends meet, no license, no insurance... Oh please mister don't
call the cops.
 So we get the cars off the road and I got all of her information (from her
license she claims was suspended) just in case and told her that if she
wasn't hurt, I wasn't worried about it. The car was fine and yea, my neck
hurt a little but I have been in several other accidents with other people
behind the wheel so again no big deal. I was leaving Seattle and I just
didn't have time to mess with all that crap.
 I like the way they look--eurobumpers, but I was really thanking God,
Buddha, Allah or whoever was listening I didn't have them that day, or my
car would have been a goner. I would have been so screwed if my car had been
totaled at that day and time. I had like two weeks to get to NY to fly out
for Italy, I had to visit family and store the car (which got stored with NO
preps, just after getting rode hard and here I was putting it away wet.
 Someone tried to reason with me once about it. I listened politely and
nodded. Then I explained that I had recently read the book "Christine" and I
didn't see ANYTHING wrong with the way "Arnie" was acting. (the car was
another story) He was trying to tell me that I was going to Italy for a
minimum of two years=24 months at $100 a month. I only paid $1000 for the
car and I was going to pay an additional $2400 to store a $1000 car. "...and
a Volkswagen at that!"
 He just didn't get it.