OT jetta Q's

A/Trans in VWs are inherently weak (sorry Tony, at least you did not build it)...  With that in mind, you might be buying a tranny on its' last legs, and not worth the trouble.  They are pretty expensive to rebuild, anywhere from say 1500-2500.  If you are looking for a winter car, I assume you are not willing to spend that...

If you know someone that does good diagnosis or Euro trannies in your area, then I would send it over there first.  UNLESS you can buy this and make some money by parting if it fails, I think I would run too.  2.0 engine?

David