Fuel economy and improving it, among other things.

The epa rates the scirocco 16v as 23city 28 highway,
so I guess you are right on target.  I actually got
better mileage with a 2.0 16v.  Must be the torque.
Usually was around 30 mpg.

as for better mileage the only thing I can think of
that *might* help is a .80 5th gear.