Re: Under Coating

Okay, a few things, I was told that POR15 does need humidity to cure (or
whatever the hell it does) but that it is best to apply it on a dry day.

Also, whatever the undercoating is that's on my 16V never does set up very
hard, and I think this is a good thing, it gets quite runny under hot
conditions, and I think that helps it seep into cracks that water would
otherwise be doing evil things in. Anyone that's had the pleasure(?) of
working on my car will tell you it seems like you've been near an exploded
axle whenever you work on it. The car's very solid for an Ontario car, so
it seems to be working.

Cathy

I am locted in the suburbs of Portland, OR.  I beleive that the humidity
is relatively low especially this time of year.  The directions do not
have anything related to humidity and only says to apply to clean and dry
surfaces.  I am going to switch to a truck bed liner material and
hopefully get the results I am looking for.  Unfortunately, a can of that
stuff costs around $20-$40 and I already paid $10 for the 2 cans of
undercoating :(  Happy New Year to all and thanks for all the input.

GGehrke <ggehrke@gmail.com> wrote:Where are you located? I know humitidy
control plays a big part in
proper curing of paints like that too. It shouldn't be a problem in
winter, but for example POR-15 requires some level of humidity or
something goofy like that, so you might check if it says anything
about it. I've used a couple spraycan undercoat or truck liner type
products for one use or another, and haven't really found anything
i've been terribly happy with (with regards to durability), but then
I've also never had problems with it curing. Are you sure you were
supposed to primer first and that the primer is compatible?

-Grant-

Gordy S
P-Town, OR

79' Scirocco 8v X 2