Re: carb to cis conversion

chris gonzalez wrote:
i want to swap a motor into a 76, i don't know what the differences are
between a carbed fuel system and CIS (i.e., fuel tank, pump, lines,
etc...). I did notice that the fuel lines run up the passenger side.

tia,
chrisg

1) Tank is Different, not to say you can't retrofit, we'll get back to that.

2) Fuel system is pressurized from the tank to the motor. It's a 'Push" type thing with the pump(s) back by the tank. Carbs have a low pressure 'pull' type system with the pump near (on) the motor.

3) Carbs have a single line from tank to motor, FI has a second Return Line as well. (This relates to #1)

4) The FI system uses electricity so you'll need to run some decent gauge, heavy duty wire (both RED for 12v, and BLACK for switched ground). Check that last with a later Bentley, I don't think the Fuel Pump ground is BROWN colored. Oh, and you'll want to fuse the 12v line up near the front end of the car.

5) Besides the pump itself you'll need a Fuel Pump Relay circuit, they are simple and include another fuse.

So, to sum up I think you'll need to source say a cheap cabby or something to cannibalize.

btw- I have an A2 GTI shell in the back yard if you need things like lines, the pump, loom to the pump, etc.

If it is worth a look, drop me a line off list.

hth,
TBerk