Re: [SPAM] Paint stuff

Sent: Monday, January 10, 2005 9:58 PM
Subject: [SPAM] Paint stuff

I plan on getting the car painted a dark/forest green, like on the early
vws.

I have decided not to take the wiring harness out of the engine bay for
paint, for fear of never getting it back in there properly.

I know it's not a piece of cake, but the harnesses can be removed without cutting a wire or ,  95%
of the time, removing pins from connector bodies. At least on an 86 8V.

Can I just wrap
it in news paper and masking tape without pissing the shop off?

Newspaper is probably too linty. They make masking paper specifically for paint masking. I'd think
if you talked with the paint shop about how best the masked harness might be held out of the way you
could come up with a plan. Another issue to think about is the harness grommets and how they would
be masked, or preferably pushed thru the firewall and masked and reinstalled after painting so there
would be no evidence of masking.

Secondly,
i've heard that a dark engine bay is hellish to work in, I could leave it
the colour it is now (sand metallic, not overly bright, but still not real
dark either) or get it painted another colour, but then i have a mismatched
car....

Sand and green? Ugly, ugly, ugly!

any thoughts?

If I'm painting a car one of the biggest issues to me is to make sure that nobody can see any
evidence of masking anywhere on the car when it's complete. Around glass, door handles, lights,
trim, inside doors or the hatch and under the hood. Basically, I remove everything. You may not want
to do that, but should at least talk to your painter about what you should remove and what they can
mask acceptably.
Nothing looks crappier than big old masking marks on a new paint job!
Dan

anyone know of any real good looking greens too? I haven't made up my mind
on the exact green yet.

thanks a million

Bryan
Fort McMurray, AB