Old style reverse light switch to New style

I have a similar situation.  An 84 tranny in a 78 body.
Put the tranny in reverse and using a multimeter, find the pair of wires
that have continunity.  Take it out of reverse and the wires should be
open(no connection).  These are your reverse light wires.  The other two
wires are used for disabling the upshift light when in fifth gear.
GL.
-Dick-
78 Scirocco
95 Passat GLX