Hydraulic Lifter Maintenance

A little while I ago I asked if anyone knew any techniques for testing,
storing or cleaning hydraulic lifters.  I found the attached site
interesting since it describes some methods to check, clean etc.  It
also stated that since lifters are inexpensive that most times they are
not disassembled and cleaned, just replaced.  In the case of a 16V it
might be worth the time to save the $160.  Also interesting is that they
do not recommend pumping up the new (dry) lifter prior to installation.

The attached link is to "Service" page; other pages such as "Testing",
"Inspect" and "Service" are at the top of this page.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=az/cds/en_us/090082
3d/80/04/e0/ee/0900823d8004e0ee.jsp

Rick.