16V electrical gurus needed...

I know that this knowledge is out there, but if you have the time and the
skill I would recommend soldering these crimped connections. WHOA HOLD ON,
let me clarify that.
 Any time you have TWO dissimilar metal and you physically connect them you
have TWO things. (which are actually the same) Corrosion and EMI. EMI is
noise and corrosion will be in the form of electrical resistance. This is in
addition to most of the obvious effects. Now this connection point doesn't
even have to be part of an electrical circuit to cause problems. I can say
this because I have been dealing with corrosion control in the US Navy for
about 12 years. Steel in salt water. 'nuff said. If the base of an antenna
pedestal is rusting or hasn't been treated properly it's going to cause
electrical noise. Especially when you think about how different the metals
are between the hull of a ship and the antenna pedestal. So how does this
apply to a German sports car?!?
 Simple. You are taking a wire braid of some diameter and you are attaching
a lug to it. Let's say that you aren't a girly man and you crimp this with
200lbs of force. The amount of force doesn't matter at all because you are
still taking two dissimilar metals and mashing them together. Every point
that the wires touch the lug unless it is of IDENTICAL metal content is a
small resistance. Even with identical metals you still get carbon build up
that has the same effect. Bottom line if it has air getting to it it will
fail and is considered unreliable. I am saying lug but we are actually
talking about is a crimp termination. Crimps are not good. However for the
most part that's what we have to deal with. So use the crimp to make the
mechanical connection, but go over it with solder to make the electrical
connection. Me personally I would for example with a ground wire, tin the
wire put it through the crimp and make a hook so that it does not pull free.
Then I would crimp it and then add a little more solder. That way you end up
with a terminated wire that has the lowest possible resistance.
Unfortunately when you are dealing with large diameter wires this isn't
going to be a soldering iron kinda job. 63/37 solder--all that I will ever
EVER use, WITHOUT flux mind you needs to be heated to 715 degrees or so. You
will never get a 8+ guage wire to that temp with a standard soldering iron.
So do research. Do NOT get solder with flux in it. Bad stuff. Flux paste is
bad too. You want a flux solution, very thinly applied to go into the cracks
and crevises to clean (it's acid be careful) and then make sure you clean it
really good with denatured alcohol afterwards. Flux residue will destroy the
connection and cause EMI again. Flux will remove all soil, residue, and
limited "air" corrosion.
 This is a good site that gives you the basics.
http://www.mtechnologies.com/building/atoz.htm Scroll past the crap to
Soldering 101. He's talking about radio's but the same principles still
apply to the big stuff too.
 HTH
Chris
 PS. I do realize that some may disagree with some of what I said and that's
cool, most of my knowledge is what the Navy has taught me, and they tend to
do things a little different. I welcome opposing opinions offline. I mean
come on... the US Navy teaches HOLE flow instead of Electron flow in basic
electronics. If I am wrong I will come back here and admit it. I prefer not
to argue in front of everyone. Thank you.