Queen of the piddly ass tech procedures once again

Someone was telling me that the NB's are very temperamental about the
headlights. He has owned a couple of them and it was always one light that
kept dying on him. It was the right headlight on one and the left headlight
on the other. It was to the point that he usually replaced 3-4 on one side
before having to do the other.
 I finally got mad at my tail-lights and fixed that one position that never
really worked right on the 87. It was the filled in part (fog I think) on
the US ones. I got the great idea one day to open up that hole and get an
extra bulb in there. No fancy switches I just want the local idiots to see
me a little better at night so that when they hit me (and it's only a matter
of time) I won't feel bad for getting out of the car and beating someone
like they slapped my Momma. I have always told my wife that if I get in an
accident and it's not my fault (especially if it's something that's going to
total the car) I am going to jail. That's all there is to it because
especially with the Scirocco's I am not getting my investment taken care of
by the insurance company. A good example of that was when the old lady hit
my 85 with the land yacht... It scraped the door and got the area just
behind it decently... repairable but the insurance company was trying to
total the car. Ended up being $650 worth of damage, and they said the most
they would pay would be $700. So anyhow I cut the plastic peice out and put
a pair of bulbs in. Great fine good. I get three lights per side when I hit
the alarm, that's all I see. When I drive the thing on Norfolk's wonderful
smooth roads (ahem) and I get out I notice that one bulb on one side doesn't
work. So I pop the hatch, pull the bulb assembly and remove the bulb...
good, put a meter on the harness with the lights on... good. So I put the
bulb back in and it works until next time I drive in Norfolk. (daily) Well I
had a couple of bulb assemblies took the best one I had and rubbed the
contacts with a pencil eraser. (thank God for HO scaled model trains) and
installed it. Works fine now. It is Norfolk-Proof. LOL